I hope to add pictures once computer situation is resolved .. which I hope will happen early this next week.
Yogesh from Udai Travel was at the YW to pick me up at 5:45 am .. quick trip to the New Delhi train station in the sparse traffic of the early morning. Cate met up with us there. We had nice seats in the "Executive Class AC Chair Car" for the 6 hour trip to Dehra Dun. I always just like looking out of the window and watching the scenery. I felt the first excitement of the trip as we got to Saharanpur, and the topography starts to change to that of the Terai .. a little more rugged and jungly, with more sugar cane and rice in the fields by the tracks. Right after the Hardwar stop the train goes through two short tunnels as we get into the Siwaliks (low range of hills). Then there is the Dun valley which now seems to be all small farms with quite prosperous looking houses [took pictures of all of these}.
Once in Dehra we stopped for lunch at the President Hotel (owned by the Chugh family) and had a wonderful lunch of reshmi kebabs, sag, and roti .. a stop at a chemist (pharmacy) to get some things for Cate .. took Rajpur Road route for another stop for an errand of Cate's .. then finally to the Woodstock School Gate by about 4 pm.
Cate was given 'my' guest room - the one that I have stayed in the last 3 visits that is in the tower and looks out over the Teacher's Garden and the Dun. I am in the same one that Tom, Suzie, and I stayed in in 1997. It is a bit larger and has 2 beds, but is not as sunny.
Yogesh from Udai Travel was at the YW to pick me up at 5:45 am .. quick trip to the New Delhi train station in the sparse traffic of the early morning. Cate met up with us there. We had nice seats in the "Executive Class AC Chair Car" for the 6 hour trip to Dehra Dun. I always just like looking out of the window and watching the scenery. I felt the first excitement of the trip as we got to Saharanpur, and the topography starts to change to that of the Terai .. a little more rugged and jungly, with more sugar cane and rice in the fields by the tracks. Right after the Hardwar stop the train goes through two short tunnels as we get into the Siwaliks (low range of hills). Then there is the Dun valley which now seems to be all small farms with quite prosperous looking houses [took pictures of all of these}.
Once in Dehra we stopped for lunch at the President Hotel (owned by the Chugh family) and had a wonderful lunch of reshmi kebabs, sag, and roti .. a stop at a chemist (pharmacy) to get some things for Cate .. took Rajpur Road route for another stop for an errand of Cate's .. then finally to the Woodstock School Gate by about 4 pm.
Cate was given 'my' guest room - the one that I have stayed in the last 3 visits that is in the tower and looks out over the Teacher's Garden and the Dun. I am in the same one that Tom, Suzie, and I stayed in in 1997. It is a bit larger and has 2 beds, but is not as sunny.